The Friends of the Heysen Trail are saddened by the passing of our highly esteemed past President Jamie Shephard on 27 December, 2016. Jamie was active in all facets of the walking community, and a most generous host of social functions for the members. Jamie will be remembered as a true gentleman and friend to all who knew him, and he will be very sadly missed in the wider community.
- Maintaining the Heysen Trail at a consistent, high standard;
- Assisting section leaders with their maintenance responsibilities;
- Developing our relationships with landholders and others along the trail;
- Providing FOHT walkers with a different rural weekend experience.
- A specific schedule of weekend trips each month of the walking season;
- Involving small groups of up to 10 volunteers per weekend.
- Provides a maintenance program for the whole trail over a five year cycle;
- Focus on trail basics – signage, stiles, obstacles (eg rocks, fallen trees);
- Basic handyperson skills are desirable, not essential (training can be provided);
- A good level of physical fitness and willingness to participate.
- Aim to share the load between a larger group of volunteers so that individuals (particularly leaders) would attend just one or two weekends per year;
- Section leader involvement is keenly sought;
- Accommodation allowance and Saturday night meal will be provided by FOHT
Early in the New Year, you will be able to view maintenance walks program in our Walks Calendar under the new walk grade End-to-End Maintenance.
If you would like to be involved, or have an interest, please contact the Heysen Trail office.
Our office will close for the Christmas period at 2.30 pm on Friday December 16th 2016 to give our volunteers a well-earned break. We will reopen at 10.30 am on Tuesday 17th January 2017.
If you need to contact the Office (by email or telephone) over the break, it is unlikely that we will respond to your enquiry until we reopen.
Online Shop Sales over Christmas
While the office is closed, our online shop will remain open for business.
However, as many of our volunteers will be on holidays, it may take longer than normal to service orders. We will endeavour to despatch shop orders within 5 business days.
If you want to shop for last minute Christmas purchases we undertake to despatch any orders received by midday on Tuesday December 20th, on that day.
Register for Twilight walks
While the Office is closed, don’t forget that you can still register for walks online:
The Office Volunteers wish all Friend’s members and supporters a Merry Christmas and a great New Year.