- Maintaining the Heysen Trail at a consistent, high standard;
- Assisting section leaders with their maintenance responsibilities;
- Developing our relationships with landholders and others along the trail;
- Providing FOHT walkers with a different rural weekend experience.
- A specific schedule of weekend trips each month of the walking season;
- Involving small groups of up to 10 volunteers per weekend.
- Provides a maintenance program for the whole trail over a five year cycle;
- Focus on trail basics – signage, stiles, obstacles (eg rocks, fallen trees);
- Basic handyperson skills are desirable, not essential (training can be provided);
- A good level of physical fitness and willingness to participate.
- Aim to share the load between a larger group of volunteers so that individuals (particularly leaders) would attend just one or two weekends per year;
- Section leader involvement is keenly sought;
- Accommodation allowance and Saturday night meal will be provided by FOHT
Early in the New Year, you will be able to view maintenance walks program in our Walks Calendar under the new walk grade End-to-End Maintenance.
If you would like to be involved, or have an interest, please contact the Heysen Trail office.