The GPS files of the Heysen Trail have recently been updated to include re-routes and corrections.
Walkers who have previously downloaded the GPS files for their handheld GPS units for use whilst walking the trail should download the new file.
There is now a:
- GPX file download (contains only the main trail, spur and alternative trails, and campsites/towns)
- KML file download (contains all information as presented in the Interactive Maps interface, but for download and use in the Google Earth interface)
The Interactive Maps interface and Walk Selector have also been updated.
The new files (version v3.22), released on 18th August 2020, include the following changes:
- Fixing an erroneous display of the trail at Deep Creek, east of Trig campsite, Mapsheet 1A Cape Jervis to Tunkalilla Beach
- Minor update to update Newland Head campsite location, Mapsheet 1B Tunkalilla Beach to Victor Harbor.
- Minor re-route of Heysen Trail in Bridgewater, along Ayr St and Beadnell Crescent, rejoining the trail at the southern edge of Bridgewater oval, Mapsheet 2A Kuitpo Office to Bridgewater Oval
- Minor re-route of Heysen Trail in the Mount Lofty Botanic Gardens, Mapsheet 2B, Bridgewater Oval to Stone Hut Road
- Minor re-route of Heysen Trail in Cleland Conservation Park north of Reynolds Drive, Mapsheet 2B Bridgewater Oval to Stone Hut Road
- Minor re-route to re-instate low level river crossing along Colonial Drive into Morialta Conservation Park, Mapsheet 2B Bridgewater Oval to Stone Hut Road
- Minor amendment to show 2017 re-route of Heysen Trail near Chain of Ponds, Mapsheet 2C Stone Hut Road to Tower Hill
- Re-routes and corrections of the main trail and alternate trail in Mt Crawford forest for Mapsheet 2D Tower Hill to Tanunda,
- New campsite created with platform and water tank installed at Lights Hummocks Reserve campsite, Mapsheet 3A Tanunda to Kapunda
- Addition of alternate route through the centre of Kapunda, Mapsheet 3A Tanunda to Kapunda
- Minor amendment to show 2013 re-route of Heysen Trail near Huppatz Hut, Mapsheet 3D Tothill Gap to Burra
- Minor re-route of Heysen Trail near the Bundaleer Reservoir, taking the trail off the main road and across farmland, Mapsheet 5A Spalding to Hiskeys Hut
- Opening of a spur trail from Warren Gorge to the Heysen Trail, with Walk Section 50 from Eyre Depot to Buckaringa being split into two smaller more manageable sections: Section 50 Eyre Depot to Warren Gorge, and Section 51 Warren Gorge to Buckaringa. Mapsheet 7A Dutchmans Stern Conservation Park to north of Mt Arden
- Updating the Walk Selector with the sections previously numbered 55 and 56 being combined into Section 56, from Mt Little Station to Moralana Scenic Drive.
The Heysen Trail Distances page has also been updated to shown the distances between towns and campsites along the trail. As a result of these updates the length of main trail (without including temporary reroutes or spur trails) is now 1,123 kms.