This is a major update:
- the first 185km of the trail path in the downloadable GPX file and Interactive Map has been updated to have 10x more detail.
- includes 12 trail re-routes, minor corrections and improvements since the last bundled update in August 2020.
Updated Mapsheets with the 10x more detail are:
- Mapsheet 1: Cape Jervis to Kuitpo Forest (all four submaps)
- Mapsheet 2A: Kuitpo Forest to Bridgewater Oval – the first 27km to 3km south of Mylor (submaps 2B, 2C and 2D have not yet been updated)
We will progressively update the trail path further along the trail moving northwards through the mapsheets.
The following 12 re-routes and alterations have been added:
- Mapsheet 1B: a minor 400m correction to the trail at Waitpinga, a temporary re-route that was put in place sometime ago but can now be considered permanent, has been added now to improve accuracy.
- Mapsheet 1C: a 600m re-route up The Sugarloaf, north of Inman Valley. An improved realignment was marked in November 2020.
- Mapsheet 2A: A minor clarification of trail route in Kuitpo Forest near Mt Bold to remove an obsolete temporary reourte.
- Mapsheet 2A/2B: A minor clarification of trail route past Bridgewater Oval.
- Mapsheet 2B: correction to the first 600m of spur trail to Hahndorf starting from Bridgewater Playground.
- Mapsheet 2B: when entering Morialta Conservation Park from Norton Summit, there is a 140m long low water crossing and when water levels are high there is a 1.6km long high water crossing alternate route.
- Mapsheet 2B: the reroute through Morialta Conservation Park has been tidied up in the GPS files.
- Mapsheet 6A: a correction to the GPS file to include the 2015 reroute along Sheepyard Track.
- Mapsheet 6B: A minor along streets within Melrose, re-route down Brewery and Lambert Sts.
- Mapsheet 7A: the north and south routes around the waterfall upstream from Depot Creek have been tidied up.
- Mapsheet 8A: a 3km section of the trail south Red Range Campsite has been tidied up.
- Mapsheet 8B: The trail has been adjusted when passing the Wilpena Information Centre. The new 800m route avoids the 1.5km route around the resort and caravan park.
The Heysen Trail Distances page has also been updated to show the new more accurate distances between towns and campsites along the trail.