A lovely sunny day and a well grassed oval welcomed walkers and visitors to the TTG oval. Come ‘n Try It walks well attended, with around 80 registered on the morning walks. Around the oval there was much catching-up with good friends and walk buddies. In recognition of our 25th anniversary, the Friend’s hosted over 50 special guests, being foundation and early members, plus our Honorary Members, for a luncheon in the hall.
From 1pm the official speeches were by:
• Ron Jackson ( President Walking SA )
• Warren Bonython AO (on the events leading up to the Heysen Trail)
• Jamie Shephard (on the formation and early days of the FoHT)
• Hon. Tom Kenyon (the importance of outdoor recreation)
• Mayor Miriam Smith (open the walk season )
In a wonderful gesture, Miriam asked Warren Bonython to join her in opening the Walk Season. Once again we were fortunate to have many helpers to set-up and clear-up. Special thanks to – Julian Monfries and Colin Edwards (an effort above and beyond the call of duty over the past few days), for organising, – Mary Cartland, catering – Jack Marcelis and his team, the friends marquee – Liz O’Shea and Ron Jackson, Walking SA, and Alan Bundy as a great MC, plus Arrianne Wynen and her walk leaders.
The season’s now open – so lets get out and walk!