- Maintaining the Heysen Trail at a consistent, high standard;
- Assisting section leaders with their maintenance responsibilities;
- Developing our relationships with landholders and others along the trail;
- Providing FOHT walkers with a different rural weekend experience.
- A specific schedule of weekend trips each month of the walking season;
- Involving small groups of up to 10 volunteers per weekend.
- Provides a maintenance program for the whole trail over a five year cycle;
- Focus on trail basics – signage, stiles, obstacles (eg rocks, fallen trees);
- Basic handyperson skills are desirable, not essential (training can be provided);
- A good level of physical fitness and willingness to participate.
- Aim to share the load between a larger group of volunteers so that individuals (particularly leaders) would attend just one or two weekends per year;
- Section leader involvement is keenly sought;
- Accommodation allowance and Saturday night meal will be provided by FOHT
You can view upcoming Maintenance events in our Walks Calendar under the new ‘walk’ grade, End-to-End Maintenance.
Volunteers will receive a subsidy from the Friends to defray transport and accommodation expenses.