Work has begun on four of ten new water tanks and shelters. The frames for the shelters were erected over the weekend, they will be completed in the new year.
The four water tanks and shelters have been erected at four new campsites:
- Balquhidder campsite (photos | map), a campsite which is marked in the recent 2010 published guidebook
- Robinson Hill campsite (photos | map), located between Waitpinga and Inman Valley
- Mt Cone campsite (photos | map), between Myponga and Mt Compass
- Finniss River campsite (photos | map), between Mt Compass and Kuitpo Forest
These new shelters and water tanks close up some of the longer gaps between camp sites and water supplies:
- Newland Hill campsite to Robinson Hill campsite – 17.7km
- Robinson Hill campsite to Myponga – 23km (or 18.8km to Heysen’s Rest B&B)
- Myponga to Mt Cone campsite – 14km (or 16.2km from Heysen’s Rest B&B)
- Mt Cone campsite to Finniss River campsite – 17.3km
Thanks to Bronte Leak from DENR, Colin Edwards, John Potter, Bob Gentle, Albert Schmidke, Peter Solomon, Simon Cameron and Julian Monfries for their work in the construction effort.
Six more shelters and water tanks have been fabricated and will be erected in the new year.