Caroona Creek Conservation Park : www.visitburra.com
The Heysen Trail through the Caroona Creek Conservation Park will be closed from 6.00 am Wednesday 25th May to 6.00 pm on Friday 27th May, 2022. We advise walkers to avoid the area during this period.
Parks SA has advised us that the purpose of the closure of the entire conservation park is to protect public safety during an Aerial feral animal control program.
The Caroona Creek Conservation Park is located approximately 40 kms north of Burra between Newikie Creek and the Dares Hill Summit Road.
The trail through that area is shown on Heysen Trail Mapsheets 4A & 4B and Southern Guide Maps 6.4 & 6.5.
Other park closures
Other parks affected by the closure are:
- Mimbara Banks Conservation Park
- Hopkins Creek Conservation Park
If you have any enquiries about the Park Closure please contact the National Parks & Wildlife Service, Yorke & Mid North on (08) 8841 3400.
You can find further information on the Parks SA Alerts page.
The Buckaringa Sanctuary will be temporarily closed for 5 days in early July 2022. As the Heysen Trail passes through the sanctuary, we advise walkers to consider the closure if planning to walk in the area.
The closure was originally planned for early June. Due to a number of factors the new dates for the closure are :
- Commencing at 5pm on the evening of Friday 1st July through to 8am on Wednesday 6th July 2022.
The sanctuary is home to many Yellow-footed Rock-wallabies and is located between Quorn and Hawker. You can find it on map 6, chapter 4, of the Heysen Trail Northern Guidebook and on Sheet Map 7b – Dutchmans Stern Conservation Park to Mernmerna Creek.
The closure affects the trail in the following walk sections:
51 Warren Gorge to Buckaringa Gorge
52 Buckaringa Gorge to Callabrinda Creek
The closure is because the Australian Wildlife Conservancy (AWC) will be undertaking feral animal control in the sanctuary.
AWC will place closure signs at all entry points to the sanctuary to warn walkers of the danger.
A collection of re-routes and corrections of the trail path in the downloadable GPX file and Interactive Map.
These re-routes have also had a minor +3km impact on the Heysen Trail Distances.
The following re-routes, updates and corrections have been added::
- Mapsheet 2B – minor correction of display of trail route around Morialta Barns
- Mapsheet 2D – reroute of trail along Tower Rd/Ross Fire Track to take the trail off Wirra Wirra Rd
- Mapsheet 3A – minor correction of display of trail route to show it following Roennfeldt Rd near Sturt Highway
- Mapsheet 3B – minor, display Marrabel ‘Walk-in’ site on download files
- Mapsheet 4A – show reroute of trail through the southern part of Caroona Creek Conservation Park, and more accurate alignment in the northern part of the Conservation Park
- Mapsheet 5A – minor, display Bundaleer Sports ground campsite on download files
- Mapsheet 5B – show reroute of trail through main street of Crystal Brook
- Mapsheet 5B – show reroute of trail north of Bowman Park
- Mapsheet 6A – show reroute of trail in Wirrabara forest approaching Block 9 Road
- Mapsheet 6A – minor, display White Park Tank on download files. This tank will be installed in June 2022.
- Mapsheet 6B – minor realignment of route along the Pine Track
- Mapsheet 6C – minor correction of display of trail route approaching Horrocks Pass, and more accurate alignment along the pass.
- Mapsheet 6D – include alternate Heysen Trail route of the The Dutchmans Stern Hike.